Hotels, Attractions and Restaurants to Visit on the Cheap in Top European Capitals
PRNewswire NEEDHAM, Mass. (NASDAQ:EXPE)
NEEDHAM, Mass., March 11 /PRNewswire/ -- According to a recent survey of more than 1,400 TripAdvisor® travelers, 65 percent of respondents worldwide, and 50 percent of Americans, are planning to travel to/within Europe in the next 12 months. As travelers prepare for their European trips this year, TripAdvisor wanted to offer recommendations on places to stay, eat at, and see while visiting some of the most popular capitals in Europe: London, Paris, Rome, Madrid and Berlin. These lists were determined based on the opinions and experiences of TripAdvisor travelers and editors. All prices below are listed in U.S. dollars, and hotel prices reflect year-round average nightly rates.
1. Bay Tree House B&B - 59 Brookdale, New Southgate
Top-rated B&B in London on TripAdvisor, New Southgate gem is
2. Arran House Hotel - 77-79 Gower Street, Central London
Cozy Central London B&B with great location and is only $129/night.
3. Melrose House - 89 Lennard Road, East Penge
Fifteen-minute tube ride into Central London, East Penge B&B is
1. British Museum - Great Russell Street, London
Expansive and diverse collection of antiques makes it one of many
outstanding and free London museums.
2. Buckingham Palace - Buckingham Palace Road, London
Watch the regularly scheduled famous changing of the guard at 11 a.m.
3. Richmond Park - Richmond Park, Surrey
The largest royal park in London with about 2,500 acres of beautiful
and peaceful landscape.
1. The Stockpot - 18 Old Compton Street, London
About $60 for a three-course meal for two with wine and coffee.
2. The Neal's Yard Salad Bar - 1, 8/10 Neal's Yard, Covent Garden
Great take-out specials, often complete meals less than $10.
3. Mr. Wu - 6-7 Irving Street, Leicester Square
Less than $10 all-you-can-eat Chinese food buffet in Leicester Square.
1. Hotel de la Porte Doree - 273 ave Daumesnil, Paris
Cozy Daumesnil establishment, $97/night, 20 minute Metro ride into
2. Residence Les Gobelins - 9 rue des Gobelins, Paris
Close to Metro and Mouffetard market area, $111/night, a Parisian
3. Comfort Inn Saint Pierre - 10, rue de Clignancourt, Paris
Modest, but clean hotel near Sacre Coeur/Montmartre is $145/night.
1. Notre Dame Cathedral - 6 place du Parvis, Ile de la Cite, Paris
Visitors are welcome free-of-charge to this beautiful, historic church.
2. Pere-Lachaise Cemetery - 16 rue du Repos, Paris
Burial site of numerous French luminaries, with stunning views of
3. Champs-Elysees - Avenue des Champs Elysees, Paris
Famously beautiful tree-lined boulevard with wonderful boutiques, cafes
1. Le Vieux Belleville - 12 rue des Envierges, Paris
Fun family restaurant combines good food, live music and meals for
2. Le Petit Vatel - 5 rue Lobineau, Saint Germain des Pres
Quaint Saint Germain restaurant offering 3 course meals at about $30.
3. Chartiers - 7 rue Faubourg, Montmartre
Montmartre eatery where main course and entrée can go for less than
1. Hotel Parlamento - Via delle Convertite 5, Rome
Centrally located near the Spanish Steps, this comfortable hotel is
2. Hotel San Pietrino - Via Giovanni Bettolo, 43, Rome
Conveniently located near the Vatican, simple, cozy accommodation at
3. II Colle degli Ulivi - Via Colle Palazzola, 36, Zagarolo
Amazing B&B in Zagarolo, 30 minutes from Rome's city center and
1. Trevi Fountain - Piazza di Trevi, Rome
Stunning Baroque work-of-art is free and does not require a guide.
2. Porta Portese Market - Rome
Renowned flea market open on Sundays where travelers can shop and eat
on the cheap.
3. The Pantheon - Piazza della Rotonda, Rome
Amazing ancient historic structure has free tours in the evening.
1. Da Corrado - Va della Pelliccia, 39 Trastevere
Trastavere family-run business is simple, but good and inexpensive -
can be less than $15/person.
2. Trattoria Dar Pallaro - Largo del Pallaro 15
Warm atmosphere and five-course meals for around $30.
3. Da Michele - Via Merulana, 236
Choose from dozens of pizzas for about $25.
1. Hotel Room Mate Alicia - C/ Prado, 2 Madrid
Funky, hip hotel located on Santa Ana Square costs $191/night.
2. Best Western Atlantico - Gran Via 38, Madrid
Great location on the Grand Via is $188/night.
3. Room Mate Mario - Campomanes 4, Madrid
Central Madrid, near the Royal Place, with a friendly staff at
1. Retiro Park - Between C. Alfonso XII and Avenida de Menendez Pelayo,
Stunning urban park complete with fountains, a lake, and a rose garden.
2. Prado Museum - Paseo del Prado s/n Madrid
Perhaps the world's finest collection of Spanish paintings and free
every night from 6-8 p.m.
3. Plaza de Oriente - Opposite Palacio Real Madrid Spain
Bursting with attractions, including the Royal Palace, Royal Theatre
and Sabatini Gardens.
1. Jhambala - Calle de Perez Galdos, 3 Madrid
Cozy, Mediterranean restaurant with colorful decor and less than $30
2. Wagaboo - Calle Gravina, 18 Madrid
Fun eating for under $30 at this noodle haven.
3. Bazaar - C/ Libertad, 21, Madrid
Great Mediterranean food in a trendy environment, around $25 per
1. Arcotel Velvet - Oranienburger Strasse 52 Berlin
Stylish hotel in good location, with most attractions within walking
distance at $198/night.
2. Winter's Hotel Berlin Mitte - Rudolfstadter Strasse 42 Wilmersdorf
Central location near Checkpoint Charlie with clean, spacious rooms,
accommodations at $142/night.
3. Goethe87 Hotel - Goethestrasse 87 Berlin
West Berlin gem near train station with spacious, modern rooms at $159
1. Pergamon Museum - Museumsinsel, Am Kupfergraben Berlin
Historic museum with free admission from 6-10 p.m. on Thursday nights.
2. Reichstag - Platz der Republik Tiergarten Berlin
Great historic building with incredible views from the top.
3. Berlin Wall - Niederkirchnerstrasse Berlin
Scattered pieces throughout Berlin, head to Potsdamer Platz for a
1. Cenacolo - Sredzkistrasse 23 Berlin
Authentic Italian food and furnishings with great atmosphere and less
2. Monsieur Vuong - Alte Schonhauser Strasse 46 Berlin
Affordable and delicious Vietnamese cuisine, and costs less than $25.
3. Zur Letzten Instanz - Waisenstrasse 14-16 Berlin
The oldest restaurant in Berlin with traditional fare, expect to spend
around $30 per meal.
"It is remarkable how many hidden gems TripAdvisor travelers uncover to make traveling on a budget a reality, even in the most expensive European cities," said Michele Perry, director of communications for TripAdvisor.
About TripAdvisor Media Network
TripAdvisor® Media Network, operated by TripAdvisor, LLC, attracts nearly 30 million monthly visitors (source: comScore Media Metrix, Digital Calculator Report, July 2007) across eight popular travel brands, TripAdvisor® sites, bookingbuddy.com ™, cruisecritic.com™, independenttraveler.com™, seatguru.com®, smartertravel.com™, travel- library.com™ and travelpod.com™. TripAdvisor-branded sites make up the largest travel community in the world, with more than 25 million monthly visitors, five million registered members and 10 million reviews and opinions. Featuring real advice from real travelers, TripAdvisor-branded sites cover 280,000+ hotels and attractions and operate in the U.S. (http://www.tripadvisor.com/), the U.K. (http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/), Ireland (http://www.tripadvisor.ie/), France (http://www.tripadvisor.fr/), Germany (http://www.tripadvisor.de/), Italy (http://www.tripadvisor.it/), and Spain (http://www.tripadvisor.es/). TripAdvisor® Media Network provides travel suppliers with graphical advertising opportunities and a cost-per-click marketing platform. Collectively, the sites comprising the TripAdvisor Media Network have won hundreds of awards and accolades from press and industry, worldwide. TripAdvisor and the sites comprising the TripAdvisor Media Network are operating companies of Expedia, Inc. (NASDAQ: EXPE).
TripAdvisor, Seatguru, Travel-library and Travelpod are either registered trademarks or trademarks of TripAdvisor LLC in the U.S. and/or other countries. Bookingbuddy and Smartertravel are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Smarter Travel Media LLC in the U.S. and/or other countries. Cruise Critic and The Independent Traveler are either trademarks or registered trademarks of The Independent Traveler, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. Other logos or product and company names mentioned herein may be the property of their respective owners.
CONTACT: Consumer: Brooke Ferencsik, +1-781-444-1113 x275, email@example.com, or Trade - Business: Brian Payea, +1-781-444-1113 x388, firstname.lastname@example.org, both of TripAdvisor