TripAdvisor Serves Up America's Top 10 Cities For Pizza
No Matter How You Slice It, Best U.S. Destinations for a Pie Identified by TripAdvisor Community
NEWTON, Mass., Aug. 7, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- TripAdvisor®, the world's largest travel site*, today announcedthe top 10 cities for pizza in the U.S., based on reviews and opinions from TripAdvisor travelers. Top spots were determined based on the highest average rating by city for all restaurants that serve pizza.
"TripAdvisor travelers reveal that some of America's best pizza is being tossed on the West Coast, which flies in the face of the common perception that pizza is only a Northeast or Midwest specialty," said Brooke Ferencsik, director of communications at TripAdvisor. "Better known for burritos and beaches than marinara and mozzarella, travelers now have yet another reason to visit sunny San Diego."
1. San Diego, California Those traveling to seaside SoCal can enjoy authentic tastes of Italy just miles from the Mexican border. With more than 100 nearby pizzerias, those with an appetite can grab a slice at Bronx, Filippi's, or Golden Hill's Pizzeria Luigi where mouthwatering toppings include sun-dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, and homemade meatballs. A TripAdvisor traveler commented, "The pizza was just as good as being home in New York."
2. Las Vegas, Nevada While visiting Vegas, travelers can step away from the slots to double down on some pie. Favorite shops include Secret Pizza located on the Strip, Nora's where diners can devour the "Snow White" pizza featuring a medley of cheeses, and Grimaldi's which boasts coal fired brick-oven pies made with "secret recipe" dough and the perfect combination of cheese and sauce. "Brooklyn pizza in the desert," commented a TripAdvisor traveler.
3. Boston, Massachusetts Those visiting Beantown can enjoy Regina Pizzeria located in the Italian North End where the flavors and golden crusts are made from an 80-year-old family recipe. Diners can also indulge at famous Santarpio's in East Boston, serving savory slices since 1903. Travelers rave about shrimp scampi pizza and "The Works" which includes a variety of the freshest ingredients. "In Boston, the pizza is done the old fashioned way, the way it should be," commented a TripAdvisor traveler.
4. New York City, New York Travelers to New York City craving authentic, thin crust pizza will be in their glory as they bite into a scrumptious slice at one of New York's famed pizzerias which include Lombardi's, Di Fara's, and Patsy's. With outstanding pizzerias seemingly at every corner, diners will enjoy the city's trademark thin crunchy crust, gooey cheese and savory toppings. "Home of the American pizza," noted a TripAdvisor traveler.
5. Seattle, Washington Pizza lovers visiting this Pacific Northwest hub will be thrilled to taste the city's signature thick and hearty artisan pizza made with fresh, locally sourced ingredients. Downtown Seattle, locals frequent Serious Pie where guests can taste their homemade mozzarella and tomato creation, while the Flying Squirrel in Seward Park fixes its pizza with a fine selection of local meat. A TripAdvisor traveler commented, "Excellent pizza, high quality ingredients."
6. Austin, Texas Travelers visiting the "Live Music Capital of the World" can fill up on pizza before heading to a show. Renowned pizzerias include Frank & Angie's, Giovanni's Pizza Stand, and Roppolo's where guests can try the "Italian Mex" pizza, which honors Austin's Tex-Mex heritage with spicy flavors of jalapenos and red and gold peppers. One TripAdvisor traveler commented, "Best pizza outside of NYC."
7. San Francisco, California The bridge is not all that is golden in the "City by the Bay." With over 200 pizzerias, each serving heavenly slices adorned with bubbling cheese, savory vine-ripened tomato sauce, and golden crust, travelers are sure to experience "la bella vita." Famed pizza shops include Delfina's, Tony's Pizza Napoletana, and Del Popolo's, a mobile pizzeria housed in a 20-foot transatlantic shipping container that boasts a wood-fired oven. "Best pizza west of Italy," said a TripAdvisor traveler.
8. Indianapolis, Indiana Travelers to Indy can immerse themselves in a true culinary adventure tasting the tomato and cheese topped slices in this Midwest metropolis. Among the favorite pizzerias are Jockamo Upper Crust, Brozinni, and Bazbeaux. Located in the city's Art District, Bazbeaux's pizzas are carefully crafted using a blend of provolone, mozzarella, and Romano cheese and guests have the option of white or whole wheat crust—thick or thin. A TripAdvisor traveler said, "A pizza lover's paradise."
9. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Cheesesteak and soft pretzels are not all travelers will find on the menu in Philly. With a rich Italian heritage, this East Coast city offers over 200 pizza eateries that add to the flavorful restaurant scene. Among the notable shops are The Tomato Bistro, Tacconelli's, and Tony's Place which specializes in the "Original" thin-crust tomato pie. One TripAdvisor traveler commented, "Some of the best pizza anywhere."
10. Phoenix, Arizona Even in the desert travelers can enjoy a piece of the pie. Those visiting the "Valley of the Sun" will find scrumptious slices of airy, bubbling crust and savory cheese, paired with the perfect amount of fresh tomato sauce. On the menu at Pizzeria Bianco guests will find unique varieties including the "Sonny Boy," and "Wiseguy," homemade dough topped with wood-roasted onion, house smoked mozzarella and fennel sausage. "My favorite pizza in the world," said one TripAdvisor traveler.
About TripAdvisor TripAdvisor® is the world's largest travel site*, enabling travelers to plan and have the perfect trip. TripAdvisor offers trusted advice from real travelers and a wide variety of travel choices and planning features with seamless links to booking tools. TripAdvisor branded sites make up the largest travel community in the world, with more than 260 million unique monthly visitors**, and more than 100 million reviews and opinions covering more than 2.7 million accommodations, restaurants and attractions. The sites operate in 30 countries worldwide, including China under daodao.com. TripAdvisor also includes TripAdvisor for Business, a dedicated division that provides the tourism industry access to millions of monthly TripAdvisor visitors.