I am absolutely appalled by the total disregard that your owner, manager, chef and staff has for a person's LIFE!!! Your complete intentional negligence after a customer explained their severe food allergy is something I have never heard of and I was in the food and beverage industry for 15 years!!! What you did is unacceptable and I will do everything I can to make sure people know how you treat your customers!!!
So here's my question...how can you sleep knowing that you staff intentionally gave a customer something that could have killed them?